Sunday, July 24, 2011

Summer Harvest

This year I planted some hot peppers to keep the rabbits out of my garden. Turns out that the peppers took over my little garden, and now I have so many I don't know what to do with them.



We picked about 2 dozen habaneros today, with about 15 more still green on the bush, and about a dozen Serrano peppers. I'm not sure if serranos are supposed to be green, red, or orange. I've picked and cooked with them in all colors, and prefer them when they're green.

That's basil, serranos, habaneros, and onions. Also not pictured is are my trusty sage, lavender, and rosemary bushes. I think those are indigenous to Central Texas because they grow like weeds. My cilantro, thyme, and oregano only lasted a few months (probably too much shade because of the peppers or the Texas heat?). My tomatoes, yellow bell peppers, watermelon, peach tree and lime tree have yet to produce.



Brooke is standing next to the pepper plants to give some perspective of how big they really are. There is also a basil plant just out of picture that is BIGGER than Brooke.








Turns out that rabbits don't really mind the hot peppers, and it's just a tall tale hatched by the Pepper Growers Association of the World to sell more pepper plants. Rabbits don't even mind when pre-schoolers throw rocks at them and yell,


"GET OUT OF OUR YARD! THOSE ARE OUR VEGGIES!"






1 comment:

Grandma Mary said...

Brooke, please don't throw rocks at the rabbit. You grew rabbit food so it thinks it is for him/her.

Get your Dad to buy a cage at Home Depot to trap it with and then release it out away from your house.

It works better than rocks and is a lot nicer for the rabbit.