Friday, December 17, 2010

Maddie is SIX

Dear Maddie,


Today you are six years old (you weigh 41 lbs and are 44 inches tall). Happy Birthday! The past twelve months have been filled with developmental changes for you, and most importantly, you started kindergarten. We are very proud of your SEVEN lost teeth, and your ability to speak Spanish through all those holes in your mouth.






Your first semester of Kindergarten have been exhausting for you. Sometimes when we get home from school, you fall asleep on the couch. You still go to bed around 7:30, and sleep until 6:30 everyday. Oh, what I'd do for 11 hours of sleep everyday!




(from your holiday school party that was on your b-day--with your friends and your Kindergarten teacher)


After school, you go to a tumble/dance/cheer place and just had your second ever dance recital. It was, um, pretty darn funny. You also did this tumble routine all by yourself (and were the first one to do it) in front of parents and "big" kids. I was proud how very brave you are.







This year you've really turned a corner in your "shy" type behavior. There are still times when you're timid, but we've really pushed you last year to speak up and ask for what you need. After all, in life you must ask for what you want! Our loving pressure worked, and you have been checking into your own dentist/doctor's appointments, purchasing small items, greeting adults, happily "performing" in school/dance events, and always jumping right into a party:





Your favorite past time is to draw and color. Creating cards for people is also something that is high on your priority list lately. Your handwriting is now officially better than mine, and you're starting to read in Spanish (although I'm still not sure how much you're comprehending). You do your homework most nights without complaining, and tell us you "forget" to do it during your after school care time (when you're supposed to!).








We had your 6th birthday party last week, I couldn't have been more proud of how you entertained your girlfriends (no boys were invited this year) and were the hostess with the mostest. It has been pretty clear for a long time now that you're a "leader" in the sense that most seem to watch you and then do what you say. Sometimes people call this being "bossy," but coming from your mother (another "leader") I think it's okay. You have many friends (as evidenced by your big birthday party), but you mostly talk about a couple of very good friends--Gianna, Lindsay, Molly, and Mia B.







Even though you have many friends, your favorite people are definitely still me, your dad and Brooke. I'm going to take advantage of that for as long as possible because I know it will not last much longer. Whenever we offer to go places and do things on the weekend, you typially say, "I'd just rather stay home and play with you guys." We try to do this as much as possible, and still enjoying doing absolutely nothing at the Lake House at least once or twice a month:






While your dad and I still rock, your sister is #1 in your book, your partner in crime, and your best friend. You two argue on occasion, and no one else can push your buttons like Brooke, however, you have a fierce loyalty to each other. There has been quite a bit of whispering, scheming, and giggling lately, and telling us "we're not doing anything" when we ask what's going on. You almost always make Brooke do that very thing on your behalf that you know will cause the most trouble. For example, the time you two snuck out of the house earlier this month. I'm sure there will be many more of those occasions, but God, it scared the crap out of me!
At least you're in it together, and I'm grateful everyday that you have a sister. Every. Single. Day. (You're welcome!)




I love you so much!


Loves,


Mama


P.S. You still suck your thumb ("but not at school," you say) and it drives me CRAZY. You like to wipe your slobbery thumb on me when I complain about it, and it totally grosses me out.


2 comments:

The Brown Family said...

AHHHHHH! That just brought a tear to my eye. Amanda, you worded that so perfectly! I have started Carter's 4 year old letter a week ago and with this you gave me me inspiration to finish... that is great!

Michelle said...

I'm at work...and trying so hard not to cry right now. Miss you ALL so much.