Saturday, October 27, 2007

Pumpkin Carving Contest

Some would say that I am a little on the competitive side. Some would laugh at that understatement and say that I'm very competitive. (I actually really try to win those games women play at baby and wedding showers.)

This year, we bought two pumpkins. One for each kid, but really one for each of us.

Today we carved the pumpkins with the girls....good 'ole family fun! I determined that Zak didn't do much pumpkin carving as a child because he had NO clue how to do it, and every time I told him the next step he'd pretend like he knew it.

For example, he started to CARVE prior to cutting the top off and scooping out the guts and seeds! Like, Duh! I, on the other hand, am an experienced carver. My brother and I did it every year, and my mom would roast the seeds.

Before we started to carve the pumpkins, Zak would not tell me what he had planned to design. So, I decided that I was just going to have to do the same and create a pumpkin that would marvel the internet. THEN, we decided that we'd ask my blog readers to VOTE on the best pumpkin. This is where audience particpation is key, here are the choices:

This is "Happy" without a light....




Here is "Scary" without a light...



Here they are side by side lit up (where they both look much better)...



THERE IS A LOT RIDING ON THIS, FOLKS. WE HAVE A BIG BET! You must VOTE! We are also taking ideas for what to NAME the pumpkins, cause every pumpkin must have a name. For the purpose of selecting your favorite, please refer to the pumpkins as "Happy" and "Scary."

Also, because I don't trust that Zak will not attempt to rig the vote via anonymous fake votes, please write your name in your comment.

For those of you who don't know how to leave a comment (GOD! STILL!?) this is how you do it.... Click the word "COMMENTS" at the bottom of the post, choose your identity (anonymous comments are allowed), then type in your vote/comment, click "publish your comment."

34 comments:

schuss3 said...

Happy gets our vote. Good luck, Zak.
-Michelle & Jack

Anonymous said...

Happy

Joe said...

Scary

Pat said...

I like the "Happy" face pumpkin the best! Good Luck!!

"Nina" aka Mom J said...

I like Happy the best!! Did you roast the seeds?

Anonymous said...

Scary.
Tippi

Amy said...

Happy! I'll have to post my pumpkin masterpiece also.

Anonymous said...

scary!!

sarah

francie said...

My choice is happy. The eyes were much more complicated on this one. Although I must say they both look good.

Shannon said...

pMy vote goes to Happy as well! Happy Halloween to the Family!

Anonymous said...

it's scary!!
Tony

Amy said...

happy. (and this is amy harris)

i never noticed you were competitive... HA HA HA HA HA

Anonymous said...

we vote for scarrrrry.
Ed & Dianna

Anonymous said...

Happy

Angi said...

happy

Anonymous said...

The scary has it.
from Maria

Anonymous said...

our vote is for the scary pumkin,
Cathy and Mike

Anonymous said...

scary has our family vote. Trick or Treat.

Sharon, Jim, and Michelle

Anonymous said...

happy, good luck.....the pumpkin carving play by play is hilarious

Anonymous said...

oops the above comment was me, terra

Anonymous said...

scary pumpkin is the best!
Happy halloween,
Dave & Elaine

Anonymous said...

scary
Sheila

Anonymous said...

I work with Sheila. She told me to vote for my favorite pumpkin...hard decision...I'll vote for SCARY.
Good luck,
Holly

Anonymous said...

Diplomacy is the rule
...Madison gets to pick for me...
Love you guys
Pa Pa

Anonymous said...

Scary

Anonymous said...

its scary! My friend will be voting soon.
Happy Halloween.
Lauren.

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda,Zak! Pumpkins are cute, SCARY is my vote.

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Whew, trick or treating, lots of walking...
...we vote for "ScAry"
-Julie & Rob

Anonymous said...

SCARY

Terry

Anonymous said...

Scary is who I like, but both pumpkins are nice.

Carol B.

Anonymous said...

happy is just too darn cute! happy it is!

Holly B

Anonymous said...

SCARY has my vote for being a scary one!
Ray

Anonymous said...

Hope you all had a happy halloween. We put our vote in for the "SCARY" pumpkin...

Helen and Josh

Anonymous said...

I like the SCARY one, especially lit up!

Jan C.