Thursday, July 12, 2007

Sicko

"The need for universal health care has never been more urgent. There are now 47 million Americans with no health insurance at all, including 8 million children. Eighteen thousand Americans die each year as a direct consequence of being uninsured, according to the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies. Recent studies indicate that medical debt is the leading cause of both bankruptcy and homelessness. These facts are unacceptable in the richest country in the world." --Rep. John Conyers

Michael Moore's Sicko is a must see movie. I experienced so many different emotions during this movie...

I laughed at the absurdity of our current for profit health care system especially when in comparison to other countries. The United States of America is in a sad, sad place (#37 to be exact) when it comes to taking care of the health of its people. Embarrassing.

I cried at the story of the 2 year old baby girl who died after being brought to an "out of network" hospital with a 104 degree fever. They refused to treat her and she died in transit to another "in network" hospital. I couldn't even imagine what I would of done, who's head I would have ripped off, the hell I would raise had that been me with my sick child.

I hung my head in shame because I've worked for an HMO. Just after I earned my master's degree, I worked in the mental health call center where I referred people to counselors, psychiatrists, and hospitals. Many times I did so knowing that they would only be covered for with 5-10 therapy sessions when I really knew that they needed much more care than their plan would cover.

I got angry when I saw how our politicians are bought and sold for just hundreds of thousands of dollars for a vote for the health care industry and pharmaceutical companies. Oh, the karma...

I considered moving to Canada or France for a healthy future for my family. If you're sick, that's where you should go!

I also vowed to "do something" to make a change, and the first thing that I am doing is urging everyone I know to go see this movie.

GO! And decided for yourself what future you want for your children and your country. Then, do something about it....

'What can I do?' - SiCKO

No comments: