Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Cookie Tricks

I bake. I like to bake. I'm good at baking. These three facts confuse my husband.

He also cannot understand the term "from scratch." I also very often make bread, cookies, cakes, and muffins from a store bought mix too. However, when I do make things from scratch, this is how the conversation goes:

"Right, so these delicious cookies you made, where did you get the dough?"

"I made them from scratch."

"Okay, but what's the brand of the dough."

"There is no brand."

"So, how did you make them."

"With flour, sugar, butter, eggs and other stuff in the pantry."

"And that made these cookies? Hmmm, not bad."

God, I'm such a housewife. I would be a super duper housewife if I owned one of these puppies.


I also have this great trick to keep cookies soft. We're a soft cookie kinda family...no crunchy cookies here. Once you bake them (must not crisp the cookies in the oven!) you should store them in an airtight container with a slice of fresh bread. I use the heel of the bread since we don't usually eat it. There is something about the bread that keeps the cookies soft. I don't know how or why, but it just works.

"Dude! What's the deal with the piece of bread in here with my cookies?"

"It keeps the cookies soft."

"That's genius (with a mouth full of soft cookies)! How? Where did you learn that?"

"I don't remember. I think I learned it sometime when I was in college."

"That may be the single most important thing you ever learned during your entire college career."

I know, it was money well spent.

1 comment:

Amy said...

hey!! i think i taught you the bread for the soft cookies trick!! :)