Wednesday, July 04, 2007

The Circus!



Oh, the fun never ends in our household. We work ourselves silly to make sure Maddie has fun and great childhood memories. You'd think getting two kids to the circus on a holiday would be an easy feat, but it's HARD work and requires too much advanced planning. I've decided that at least three adults are required for trips like Sea World and the Circus. One and a half per kid.


As usual, Brooke was a breeze, except for a minor stroller fiasco. When we got there, I just pulled out her gianormous stroller like I normally do, pop her car seat in it, and moved on down the road. We found our way without using stairs, made it into the Alamodome, navigated ourselves to our seats. It was at this time when I noticed that NO ONE else had a stroller, and there were a gazillion kids there. All the babies were in Baby Bjorns (mine was at home), and I was getting some sideways glances from people as took over the walkways without regard to peoples ankles. The usher in our section told me that I needed to "check in" my stroller at a desk (that was very far away). I begged, pleaded, and bribed my way into getting to fold up my stroller and put it in an unoccupied section. It took a good ten minutes of sweet talkin' to make it happen, but I did just in time for the lights to go out. I think they were just too tired to put up with my whining.

My dad and I used to go to The Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus in Dallas every single year that I lived with him (12-18 years old). Just for the record, no, I was NOT embarrassed to do this because I LOVED the circus and the cotton candy. The circus was always in Dallas the week of my birthday, so it was what Dad and I did. The circus back then, in the Gunther Gebel-Williams put your head in a tigers mouth days, it was a spectacular, awesome, huge event. There were acrobats, motorcycle cages, trapeze artists, aerialists, and exotic animals. Now...not so much.

They still do the tigers, clowns, horses, and elephants. There are far fewer animal acts (probably because of the animal rights protests), AND there are no more THREE RINGS...as in a THREE RING CIRCUS! It's only one ring! AND there were many more dorky clown acts, a dog act, a CAT act, a 'hurkules' strong man, juggling, and even lip syncing. It's a low budget affair these days.

HOWEVER, Maddie loved it.
Her eyes were wide, she danced, clapped her hands, and was super sweet (except for one mommy meltdown). I saw the circus through her eyes. I think I watched her more than I watched the show! She didn't even ask for toys, cotton candy or any of the other plastic crap that they sell for outrageous prices.

We had also planned to see fireworks this year. I haven't gone since 2003! I really wanted Maddie to see them, but it was just too much for one day. Plus, the grown ups are too tired...these girls run circles around us!

1 comment:

Nina said...

Soooooo...precious!!!!